Dr. Miranda McMillin talks about preparing for pregnancy
Miranda McMillin MD enjoys working with women who are preparing for pregnancy. She provides advice about preconception health and urges women to make a preconception planning appointment. At this visit, our Cedar Park obgyn will help you take a proactive approach to pregnancy and give your baby the best start.
Tips for preparing for pregnancy
When you begin to think about motherhood, it’s time to start preparing for pregnancy. Several steps help ensure that your body is ready to carry a baby.
- Schedule a preconception planning appointment.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet consisting of lean protein, dairy or sources of calcium, vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Work to get to a healthy weight.
- Start taking a prenatal vitamin when preparing for pregnancy. To prevent neural tube defects, take a vitamin that includes at least 400 micrograms of folic acid daily.
- Don’t smoke, drink alcohol or use recreational drugs.
- Avoid exposure to toxic chemicals and radiation at work and in the home.
What to expect at a preconception planning appointment
The preconception planning appointment is important for both the obstetrician and the patient who is preparing for pregnancy. Dr. Miranda McMillin obtains valuable information about you during this visit that helps her develop your preconception health plan.
During this visit, you and our Cedar Park obgyn discuss several important topics.
- Your family history, including any genetic conditions.
- Your medical history, including prior pregnancies, births or surgeries.
- Your health and preexisting conditions, including diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Whether you are current on vaccines, Pap smears and other tests.
Dr. McMillin will also advise you about tracking ovulation and optimizing your natural fertility.
If you are preparing for pregnancy, it’s important to partner with an experienced and highly trained obgyn like Dr. Miranda McMillin. She can help you give your baby the best start in life. Contact us for an appointment with our Cedar Park obgyn.