Baby love begins with taking care of yourself during pregnancy
Taking care of yourself during pregnancy is the best way to take care of your baby. Our Austin obgyns share the best ways to love yourself and your baby throughout your pregnancy.
Five recommendations for taking care of yourself during pregnancy
Our Austin obgyns recommend these five important steps for taking care of yourself during pregnancy.
- Get regular prenatal care. Prenatal care enables our Austin obgyns to detect and treat problems that may adversely affect you or your baby if left untreated. From your first prenatal visit to labor and delivery, our physicians carefully monitor your pregnancy, whether it’s a routine or a high-risk pregnancy.
- Eat a healthy diet and take your prenatal vitamins. A healthy diet is a vital component of taking care of yourself during pregnancy. You should eat a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein, dairy and healthy fats. Prenatal vitamins help ensure that you and your baby are getting the proper amount of vitamins, minerals and folic acid. Folic acid is an important vitamin that prevents neural tube defects that may develop during the first trimester.
- Get regular exercise. Moderate-intensity exercise is a significant part of taking care of yourself during pregnancy and helps in several ways.
- Increases energy and reduces stress
- Helps to keep weight at a healthy level
- Improves quality of sleep
- Reduces pregnancy problems, such as swelling, constipation and back pain.
- Avoid harmful substances. Smoking, drinking alcohol and using recreational drugs are harmful to your baby. Talk to our Austin obgyns if you need help stopping. Taking care of yourself during pregnancy means avoiding several substances.
- Limit caffeine consumption and work toward cutting it out altogether.
- Avoid certain foods, including unpasteurized dairy products or juice, raw eggs, raw or undercooked meat or fish, processed meat and fish that contain high levels of mercury.
- Avoid toxins, such as lead, mercury, pesticides, arsenic and chemical solvents.
- Take precautions when traveling. Talking to our physicians about travel precautions is an important part of taking care of yourself during pregnancy. For example, it’s important to know which areas of the world you should avoid that may put you at risk for Zika or other harmful viruses.
Our Austin obgyns are here to help and advise you about taking care of yourself during pregnancy. Contact us for an appointment.